Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Feb 15 17:55:17 EST 2007

On Thursday 15 Feb 2007, Stephen Torri wrote:
> I believe that I have achieve some sort of instability in my gnucash
> data file. I do believe is most likely user induced. I was trying to
> reconcile the present month when I noticed that a previous month
> transaction was not reconciled (e.g. its 'R' field says 'n'). When I
> attempted to look at the previous reconciled statement by changing the
> statement date then beginning balance remained unchanged. The only way
> to clear this was to reconcile the subaccount in which the transaction
> appeared. This changed the beginning balance on the reconcile window and
> hence my trouble. I do not know how to fix my account so that the
> beginning is correct.
>
> So my problem is my beginning balance in the reconciled window is wrong
> for the parent account. I think it was because I reconciled the child
> account. How do I fix the issue?
>
> Stephen

Hi,

I think you don't have to worry about the opening balance if your accounts
might be messed up.

GnuCash calculates the opening balance, so if you think your data is messed
up, you know that the calculation might be wrong too!

If the end balance matches the statement after reconciling normally (but you
might need to check older statements/transactions too - if they are in the
reconcile dialog box) then you will have fixed some errors in your file.
Everything should be OK next month.

HTH,
Maf.