Too many .log and .xac files

David Berg drberg1000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:02:48 EST 2007

Josh Sled wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 14:11 -0600, David Berg wrote:
>> Regardless of whether it's a good design decision, I'd like to change
>> the program for my own install to use a hidden directory.  I'm not
>> familiar with the gnucash source at all though.  Would this be an easy
>> change?  Where would I start?
>
> Relatively easy.
>
> Start at src/backend/file/gnc-backend-file.c.  In particular, look for
> the strings "retain_days" and ".xac".  That will lead you to
> gnc_file_be_backup_file and gnc_int_link_or_make_backup.  Check the
> callers, and you'll find your way to gnc_file_be_write_to_file.  Between
> those functions should lie the solution.

Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier, but using launchers was quite
straight forward. It let me put the files (backups and originals) where
  I wanted, and have a representative of the original in a different
location.

For those who use gnome and want a quick howto:

1. Drag the launcher from the "Main Menu" to the desktop or directory
where you want it.
2. Right click on the launcher and select properties.
3. Click the launcher tab.
4. Change the "Command" text box from "gnucash %f" to "gnucash
LOCATION_OF_FILE"

Either a relative path or absolute path work fine, but relative paths
start from ~/.gnucash/data not from the directory of the launcher.

These instructions are for gnome 2.16.1 though I expect other versions
would be very similar.

--Dave