Upgrade Question

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 00:50:14 EST 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 7:06 PM, David T. wrote:

[snip darwinports comment]

> I could not get around this, so I tried using fink, where "sudo
> fink install
> gnucash2" yielded similar errors. (I did have to run the command
> several times
> to get down to this stopping point, as it appeared that fink was
> installing
> items out of order--is there some way to fix that, and would it be
> a fink thing
> or a gnucash installation setup thing?) Ultimately, I used
> FinkCommander to
> install qt3-3.3.5-1023 from binary rather than qt3-3..7-1022 from
> source, and
> after that, 2.0.4 installed and is running just fine.

Things being installed out of order is almost certainly a fink issue.
Pretty complex and beyond my skills, but I'll see if one of the fink
gurus has some time and an Intel Mac to try a clean install on. I
have a PPC mac, and I have qt3 3.3.7-1021 (one version 'old' in the
fink sense). Gnucash 2.0.4 (and Head) compile fine for me. The first
time I installed gnucash (1.whatever) on bare iron with fink and it
gave me fits, I fell back on installing chunks of dependencies before
trying to install gnucash.

I am the fink gnucash 2.x maintainer, so I will keep these things in
mind, but I'm mostly at the 'imitate other working .info files' stage
of maintainer knowledge. So I can't promise much.

I think qt3 only comes into the mix because of aqbanking. As a
general strategy, you might try making sure most of the gnome bits
you need are in place, rebuilding qt3, then rebuilding gnucash.

Fink did rearrange parts of qt3 in going from 3.3.7-1021 to
3.3.7-1022 (splitting out -designer-shlibs into a separate splitoff,
I think). If that broke a library path, then there's probably a bug
in the newest .info file for qt3.

One other thought: I hope you are being _very_ careful about your
PATH while trying to deal with both macports (aka darwinports) and
fink on the same machine. I tried that for a while and it got to be
too much for me to keep straight. Mostly on the fink end, since
they'll readily let you compile against non-fink libraries. Macports
is less willing to have anything to do with software outside the
ports tree.

> I don't quite understand what was going wrong there, but I felt I'd
> at least
> share my experience with the community. It sure was a heck of a lot
> easier than
> the first go 'round.
>
> David

Dave