global find/replace after QIF import

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Mon Jan 15 23:44:22 EST 2007

Derek,

Many thanks for the rapid reply.  This won't solve everything, but it's
a great start.  Problems arise as the old system was not double-entry
and one simply specified interest in every checking account, or a
finance charge in every credit card account, etc.  There is no
distinction between accounts and simply unspecified transactions are
labeled "interest."  There's no way to tell which account they came from
and there may be six or seven such lines.  I guess I have to punt and
rename the individual interest accounts after the fact.  That's actually
not a real problem.

Also, the import barfs on dividend accounts.  I had an account into
which I put all dividends from different securities - there was really
no elegant way to do it in the old software.  The entry had the stock
name, when it was received, and a separate entry when the dividend
amount was moved to an asset account.  This resulted in deposits and
debits from the dividend account.  Every debit, credit, payment or
charge from that dividend account is rejected by the QIF import.  This
is the only account that has trouble.  I'm not sure why.

Thanks again - the suggestion helps greatly.

Jim