global find/replace after QIF import

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 16 13:45:51 EST 2007

Hi,

"James A. de Haseth" <jdehaseth at snappydsl.net> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Many thanks for the rapid reply.  This won't solve everything, but it's
> a great start.  Problems arise as the old system was not double-entry
> and one simply specified interest in every checking account, or a
> finance charge in every credit card account, etc.  There is no
> distinction between accounts and simply unspecified transactions are
> labeled "interest."  There's no way to tell which account they came from
> and there may be six or seven such lines.  I guess I have to punt and
> rename the individual interest accounts after the fact.  That's actually
> not a real problem.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.  As for the "lack of double entry"
I'll point out that Quicken isn't double-entry, either.  But the QIF
importer does let you map a description/memo/payee to a GnuCash account.

> Also, the import barfs on dividend accounts.  I had an account into
> which I put all dividends from different securities - there was really
> no elegant way to do it in the old software.  The entry had the stock
> name, when it was received, and a separate entry when the dividend
> amount was moved to an asset account.  This resulted in deposits and
> debits from the dividend account.  Every debit, credit, payment or
> charge from that dividend account is rejected by the QIF import.  This
> is the only account that has trouble.  I'm not sure why.

I'd have to see a sample QIF that has trouble (and a decription of the
trouble) in order to answer this..