QIF import duplicate question

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:35:22 EST 2007

On 1/25/07, James A. de Haseth <jdehaseth at snappydsl.net> wrote:
> Sorry - I hit "Reply" instead of "Reply to all."
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Since I never saw a duplicates window I thought
> the eradication of duplicates was auto-magical.  Anyway, it's better for
> me to import files one at a time so that I can check out the
> interactions and make sure everything is going to the right account.

in my ongoing attempts to get a massive qif to import, I have noticed
that I DON'T see the duplicates window if I get the setup done right.
Maybe I've just been lucky, and I've had a lot of crashes so maybe my
experience isn't typical.

For example, if I just let the Quicken categories create new accounts
in GnuCash, not only are they not in the right places in the Assets /
Equity / Expenses/ Income / Liabilities tree, but the qif importer has
much less of a clue about matching duplicates.

One thing I did was spend a lot of time creating the proper hierarchy
based on my data. At one point I wiped everything out and started
over, but I copied my qif-accounts-map from the old to the new
~/.gnucash directory and it was much faster going through the import
the next time.