QIF import duplicate question

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Thu Jan 25 17:49:31 EST 2007

My experience has been similar, but what I am doing is taking the QIF
files for each account individually and running them through a sed
script.  As I have many old account categories (from InCharge) the sed
script has become quite large.  Nonetheless I find that this is a much
more efficient way to assure that the accounts are put in the correct
places.  I also rm ~/.gnucash/qif-accounts-map as I find errors and
bogus accounts created if accounts were ever incorrectly assigned.

I actually make a copy of the "master" empty account tree just by saving
it as "testcase."  I try all my imports into testcase, note all the
errors, fix them, then import the accounts into the active account tree.

It's a pain, but every account I tackle has fewer errors as I have
already seen most of them in previous imports.  I just expand the sed
script as necessary.

The first time I saw the duplicates window was when I imported files
sequentially instead of simultaneously.  The QIF files were identical,
and hence the set-ups were identical, so it's a bit of a mystery.  As
Derek said, the QIF importer is a bit "magic."

Jim