Font issue

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jul 19 10:29:30 EDT 2007

"Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:
> I tried the example .gtkrc-2.0-gnucash. Specifically, I tried changing
> the gnc-register font-name from 'Sans 10' to 'Sans 9'. This had the
> effect of completely blanking the bottom of any register, so that you
> can't see the last N transactions. But when I scrolled up, the earlier
> transactions were visible and indeed their appearance was different
> than before, in a smaller, less bold font.

Huh, that sounds like a bug.  At least the font did change, though. :)

> Perhaps there is no 'Sans
> 9'? And this is the response to that? I have no idea where the font
> files are that gnucash uses, so I don't know what my choices are. I
> did search the filesystem for '*sans*' and '*Sans*', which didn't turn
> up any useful clues. So I'm guessing you are on the right track, but
> I'm just not sure what the valid choices are (assuming my guess that I
> made an invalid choice is correct).

Fonts are provided by font libraries and X Windows.  In this case, Gtk and
Pango, which I believe uses freetype.  `xfontsel` might give you the
historical x font selector, but `gnome-font-properties` should bring up
gnome's font control panel, which is generally nicer to use and might even
let you set the default font for other gtk/gnome apps.

'Sans' on any basically-modern desktop (and especially your up-to-date Gentoo
one) is going to be a scalable font that can range to any point size.  So
Sans 9 should be acceptable.

Those strings are a PangoFontDescription ... see the documentation for
'pango_font_description_from_string' in devhelp for the details, if you
care.  It's basically {[family] [style] [size]} like 'sans bold 12' or 'times
8'.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}