Is GnuCash Windows ready for a non-programmer? Will it be eventually?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Mar 5 09:43:06 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 21:00 +0000, John Roberts wrote:
> -- Are the core features stable enough that it's reasonably usableon a
> day-to-day basis?  I don't mind using under-development software which
> crashes occaionally (so long as my data isn't getting corrupted) or where
> non-core features are a bit flaky.  At the same time I don't want to have to

The 2.0.99 Windows "release" is a development version, from the 'trunk'
of new development.  It includes changes to allow the software to work
on Windows, as well as other changes and cleanups.  Over and above the
no warranty (expressed or implied), I'd say that while we generally
don't try to knowingly make destabilizing changes on trunk, it's
possible.  Things could just be buggy.  When we approach a release, we
have a "quiet period" of testing where we try to flush out bugs.

> -- Will my using the program be helpful to the GnuCash effort?  For example,
> if I find bugs, is there any nice way to report them that won't either
> require me to dig through the code or upload all my financial data?

Yes, constructive usage, testing and feedback is helpful!  Please report
bugs at <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=GnuCash>.

As for the details of reproducing or reporting a bug, it depends on the
individual bug.  Generally we don't need people to dig through code,
though producing a detailed sequence of steps to reproduction and
getting a detailed backtrace is very helpful.

> In general, is GnuCash headed in a direction where it'll be a viable
> alternative for the masses of us who run Quicken/Money on Windows?  My sense

I don't know Quicken or Money, but I'd guess the issue will be one of
(lack of) features.  I think it'll be a viable alternative for the
subset of the masses that need core accounting functionality.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}