Corrupted file?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 20 06:53:11 EDT 2007

Quoting Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com>:

> On Tue, 2007-20-03 at 06:37 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> "Very First" in what context?   The balance isn't computed on the screen
>> in your view, it's computed in the account, so when you change the view
>> order in the register the balance doesn't follow; the balance is part of
>> the "native" order.
>
> What is a "view"? I'm talking about what I see when I double click on
> the account. Where the transactions are listed in chronological order.
>
> Let me see if I understand. Say I start with:
>
>                   Increase   Balance
> Transaction A      10         10
> Transaction B      15         25
>
> Then if I change the dates (say I made a mistake) so that Transaction B
> goes first. What should the result look like? I would say:
>
>                   Increase   Balance
> Transaction B      15         15
> Transaction A      10         25
>
> Is this not what GnuCash does?

No, this IS what GnuCash does.  BUT you don't have to display the
transactions in chronological order.

>> This result means you have a Decrease of 1321 "prior" to the opening
>> balance.
>
> Not according to the current dates of the transactions (unless GnuCash
> is not showing them chronologically, but it should, that's what it
> always does and I haven't told it to do otherwise). I'll go home during
> my lunch hour and check the dates, but I'm pretty sure that they are
> chronological.

Are you sure you haven't told it to view in a different order?  Or maybe
you've limited the dates that you want to view?  Maybe you set some
preferences to ignore, e.g., reconciled transactions?  There are many
ways to tell gnucash not to show particular transactions.

It's unlikely your data file is corrupt.  Possible, but unlikely.