Corrupted file?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Mar 20 07:07:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-20-03 at 06:53 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Are you sure you haven't told it to view in a different order?

I'll check the dates. I'll go home at lunch (in 1.5h) and check. But if
I did, it was inadvertently.

> Or maybe you've limited the dates that you want to view?

Not that I know of (how would I do that? I'd like to check). My GnuCash
accounts are very recent. I've been running GnuCash less than a month. I
was fiddling with transactions (moving them around, changing dates, etc)
when I noticed that the first transaction in one account did not match
the Balance.

> Maybe you set some preferences to ignore, e.g., reconciled transactions?

I don't have any reconciled transactions yet. I'm afraid of reconciling
because I might want to organize my accounts differently. For example, I
recently went back and changed all my transfers from the UK to Canada as
two-step transfers using a 'Transit' account.

> There are many ways to tell gnucash not to show particular transactions.

Can you give me some examples? Or a place I can look for them? If I did
this, it was entirely accidental, so it is unlikely that I did this.

> It's unlikely your data file is corrupt.  Possible, but unlikely.

That's comforting. I really care about my data staying safe. One thing I
like about GnuCash is that it keeps logs and backups.

If the power goes off (my laptop battery suddenly shuts off, as it did
once) would that corrupt the file? After that happened, next time I ran
GnuCash it said that the lock file was still there (of course) so I told
it to keep going.

I noticed that GnuCash data files are gziped XML files. That should be
resilient against corruption.

Cheers,
Daniel.
-- Dutch is essentially Low German with an army and a navy.