Upgrading in Ubuntu

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Mon May 7 19:18:54 EDT 2007

linuxforrealpeople wrote:
> I have  a two part question.
>
> Firstly, I have downloaded version 2.0.1 from the Ubuntu repository and have
> been evaluating it against Quicken which I am hoping to replace. Should I
> work with 2.0.5 as this is the latest stable release?
>
> If the answer is yes, can you advise how I go about installing the upgrade.
> I have not yet learnt how to install from a tar file - to date the most
> complicated command I have run is a sudo get apt install.

If 2.0.5 is in Ubuntu Feisty, then you need only do sudo apt-get
upgrade.  Alternatively, you could download 2.0.5 from Debian unstable
and do sudo dpkg -i <path plus filename>.

If you've obtained gnucash via Ubuntu, DO NOT try to upgrade by working
from a tarball.  That way lies a big mess.

You're probably OK right where you are.  In any case, with the bug
squashing day coming up, you're better off to wait on any changes.

HTH

Cam

--
Cam Ellison, Ph.D. R.Psych. #1417