stock adjustments

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 23:28:07 EDT 2007

Steve--

IANAA, but my experience with commodities is that the two numbers I care about
are the Number of shares transacted, and the amount of money that leaves/enters
my possession. Price is simply a number that converts one to the other.

When I enter transactions in one of these accounts, I enter the number of
shares bought/sold, the amount of money on my end, and when GC asks which to
adjust, I tell it to change the price. You keep telling GC that you have spent
.01, that you purchased .001 shares, but that the shares cost 9.65449 each.
These numbers just don't add up (.001 * 9.65449 = .00965449 -- not .01). That's
why GC keeps changing the price to 10. If you're just trying to fudge the
numbers, why worry what price goes in, anyway?

I think you could straighten this all out, though, if you go back to your
transactions and focus on the asset change in your account (i.e., how much you
paid), and the shares involved, and ignore the numbers in the price column.
This would also make your reconciliations much simpler.

The differences in price are going to have a negligible effect on the ultimate
cost basis, and shouldn't be of concern.

David