missing data from bank account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 17 09:55:41 EDT 2007

"Theo van Riet Paap" <theovrp at gmail.com> writes:

>     > Without any special reason (at least as far as I remember) the number
>     > of lines
>     > in the ´checking account´ was reduced from a ´whole year equivalent´ to
>     > roughly the ´last month only´ equivalent.
>
>     And how do you open the register?
>
> The tree of accounts is opened automatically when GN is started.
> The checking account book is openened by double clicking the corresponding
> line in the tree of accounts or by clicking the ´open icon´. Same results.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you were using an Account Register
and not the General Ledger.   If you go to View -> Filter By  in the
register window, what's selected?

>     What happens if you try to Find Transactions under the Actions menu?
>
> When I click ´actions\online actions\get transactions´ nothing happens.

That's not what I was asking.  Try Edit -> Find from the main menu.

>     > Of course all preferences and settings in edit and view have been
>     checked;
>     > also sort .. and filter.. but no wrong things.
>
>     Are you sure?  If you're making a mistake how would you know if it
>     and entry is right or wrong?  ;)
>
> Basically you are right so please give me a bit guidance.  I was repeatedly
> trialling almost all settings and combinations for days and nights.

Well, the default settings show all transactions, so it must've been
something you changed.  You can reset all your settings by doing
something like:

   * exit gnucash
   * run:   gconftool-2 --shutdown
   * mv ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash-bak
   * restart gnucash

This will reset ALL your gnucash preferences, so you'll lose
EVERYTHING, including your history, window sizes, etc.

>     That seems to imply that you're just not viewing the whole year's
>     transactions at once.
>
> I double checked this but found same results.
> In menu \File\properties ..the date format is on ´locale´. (16-05-07 as
> example)
> In menu \Edit\Preferences the accounting period is set from 01-01-05 to
> 31-12-05.
> In menu \Edit\filtering the period is set as ´view all´ and/or ´view 1-1-05
> till 31-12-05 (same results)

I don't know what these preferences do offhandl.

>     > In most reports I can see all transaction weeks a.s.o.. To facilitate
>     that I
>     > frequ ently have to change the´date settings´ of the various reports.
>     > This as I used the year 2005 as trial period.
>     > Derek'pls let me know if you need more details.
>     > Thanks
>     > Theo
>
>     Yes, I need MANY more details... A screenshot would be useful.  Or maybe
>     give me a click-by-click explanation of what you're doing?
>
> Which of the many sceendumps do you need???  I will be happy to send  all you
> need but GC is more than huge.

Good question.  I'm not sure anymore.