how to start on Leopard?

Lewis Overton akakie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:19:19 EST 2007

First, thanks for the help.

I did a basic upgrade to get to Leopard. Leopard seems to be working well
except for this problem. I found this information;

Launchd is now in charge of setting the DISPLAY variable, so if you manually
> set it (say, in ~/.bashrc or ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist), your X apps will
> be unable to find the server. To make things work properly, just don't touch
> the DISPLAY variable at all in your init scripts.

So I removed references to DISPLAY from .bashrc. Launchd sets DISPLAY to
/tmp/launch-Iu10Gq/:0 while the error message says gnucash is looking for
/tmp/launch-Iu10Gq/:6000 leading to the "can't find display" error. I tried
manually setting DISPLAY to /tmp/launch-Iu10Gq/:6000, but then I get the
error message that it's looking for /tmp/launch-Iu10Gq/:12000.

Next, I tried export DISPLAY=:0.0, which got rid of the "can't find"
message, but produced a new one.
(gnucash:7467): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I haven't rebuilt gnucash since the Leopard install. I am (was) still
running 2.0.4, which was working well for me. It was installed using
MacPorts. I abandoned Fink a good while back, although it is still hanging
around. Perhaps I should get rid of it.

If I need to rebuild gnucash, I'll take the plunge and go to the current
version. MacPorts offers a variant for install called universal. Do I need
that on this intel MacBook?

Lewy