printing troubles in debian

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Nov 20 10:29:06 EST 2007

At Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:22:34 -0500 (EST) Heather Daley <gnucash at joyful.limedaley.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > any users seeing printing trouble in debian sid? Specifically, I can
> > print reports just fine, but check printing only spews out blank
> > pages.

> I'm using gnucash 2.2.1 on Debian, and I have had something funny about
> printing pdfs.  Specifically, some pdf readers can't read the font, only
> boxes.  I've had this trouble with customer invoices.  Preview on the Mac
> can't read my pdf invoices, but various other readers have been fine.  I
> almost volunteered this information earlier in the backwards printing
> thread, but now it seems to be appropriate. (I have not tried check
> printing.)

I've had similar weirdnesses with gnucash 2.0.<mumble> under CentOS
4.5. Printing to the printer has always been just file.  Printing to a
PDF has some weirdnesses:  Acrobat reader (7) can't display PDF
invoices and reports, although GhostView displays them just fine.
Using GhostView to convert them to PS and back to PDF cures the
problem.  This happens when I include a 'Heading Banner' image (PNG) in
the stylesheet.  Acrobat Reader complains with "Illegal operation
inside a path.".  Running it through pdf2ps and then ps2pdf creates a
PDF that Acrobat Reader is fine with.

sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -q gv
gv-3.5.8-22
sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -q ghostscript
ghostscript-7.07-33
sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qf /usr/bin/acroread
AdobeReader_enu-7.0.0-1

> Heather, full of Joy
>

> "Joy is the royal standard floating from the flagstaff of the heart,
>                    telling us that the King is in residence."
>                                          -Anonymous

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk