printing troubles in debian

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 20 11:03:19 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:22:34AM -0500, Heather Daley wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> any users seeing printing trouble in debian sid? Specifically, I can
>> print reports just fine, but check printing only spews out blank
>> pages.

> I'm using gnucash 2.2.1 on Debian, and I have had something funny about
> printing pdfs.

what version of debian are you running? Deb is transitioning from the
various gs-* packages to one all inclusive package called
ghostscript. Its supposed to be a drop-in replacement but obviously is
not. Also there is some relationship to gtkPrint invovled in this as
well.

Report printing, which works, uses gnomeprint while check printing
uses gtkPrint. Meanwhile, gnumeric has just moved to gtkPrint as well
and now its print is broken. I've tried downgrading both the gs suite
and libgtk2.0 but neither one makes a difference... :( so there may be
something else involved as well...ugh.

  Specifically, some pdf readers can't read the font, only
> boxes.  I've had this trouble with customer invoices.  Preview on the Mac
> can't read my pdf invoices, but various other readers have been fine.  I
> almost volunteered this information earlier in the backwards printing
> thread, but now it seems to be appropriate. (I have not tried check
> printing.)

could you just print one for the heck of it, on plain paper? Just
select a check in the register and select File -> Print Check...