printing troubles in debian

Heather Daley gnucash at joyful.limedaley.com
Mon Nov 26 16:07:39 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:22:34AM -0500, Heather Daley wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> any users seeing printing trouble in debian sid? Specifically, I can
>>> print reports just fine, but check printing only spews out blank
>>> pages.

>> I'm using gnucash 2.2.1 on Debian, and I have had something funny about
>> printing pdfs.
>
> what version of debian are you running? Deb is transitioning from the
> various gs-* packages to one all inclusive package called
> ghostscript. Its supposed to be a drop-in replacement but obviously is
> not. Also there is some relationship to gtkPrint invovled in this as
> well.

Linux version 2.6.22.6  (gcc version 4.1.3 20070629
(prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-13)) #1 Mon Sep 10 17:52:40 EDT 2007

> Report printing, which works, uses gnomeprint while check printing
> uses gtkPrint. Meanwhile, gnumeric has just moved to gtkPrint as well
> and now its print is broken. I've tried downgrading both the gs suite
> and libgtk2.0 but neither one makes a difference... :( so there may be
> something else involved as well...ugh.
>

>  Specifically, some pdf readers can't read the font, only
>> boxes.  I've had this trouble with customer invoices.  Preview on the Mac
>> can't read my pdf invoices, but various other readers have been fine.  I
>> almost volunteered this information earlier in the backwards printing
>> thread, but now it seems to be appropriate. (I have not tried check
>> printing.)
>
> could you just print one for the heck of it, on plain paper? Just
> select a check in the register and select File -> Print Check...

A test check print on blank paper seemed to be fine.  That is, it was all
in readable characters that presumably would have fit on some kind of
check paper. (:

Heather, full of Joy

"Joy is the royal standard floating from the flagstaff of the heart,
                   telling us that the King is in residence."
                                         -Anonymous