Gnucash Segmentation Fault

Nathan Buchanan nbinont at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:38:38 EST 2007

Hi Charles!

First off, I'd like to say I not by far an expert on this, but I thought I'd
mention a few things in case you have not already done them.

1. What has changed on your machine over the past week or so (just before
you ran into problems)? Did Sun patches get applied maybe?
2. Take a backup of the Gnucash data files for sanity's sake. I don't see
any reason that they would get messed up, but it's good to have a copy if
things go bad.
3. Try removing the Gnucash package and re-installing it. If some patch
messed things up, a re-install may be all that's needed.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Sorry.

Nathan

On Nov 22, 2007 10:31 PM, Charles Gagnon <charlesg at unixrealm.com> wrote:

> This is worst than I thought... I cannot run gnucash anywhere now, it
> Seg faults right away.
>
> I assume something got corrupted somewhere but I have no idea what and
> I'm starting to freak out.
>
> I tried in gdb but I cannot get a backtrace.
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gnucash-bin
> [New Thread -1208957232 (LWP 22234)]
> BFD: BFD 2.17.50 20060514 internal error, aborting at
> ../../bfd/elfcode.h line 191 in bfd_elf32_swap_symbol_in
>
> BFD: Please report this bug.
>
> The bug buddy report I sent before was simply because the environment
> was set wrong. I had tried gnucash-bin instead of gnucash. I tried:
>
>   gnucash
>
> and
>
>   gnucash-env gnucash-bin
>
> And I get the same result:
>
> [charlesg at agena ~]$ gnucash-env gnucash-bin
> Segmentation fault
> [charlesg at agena ~]$ echo $?
> 139
> [charlesg at agena ~]$
>

> HELP!
>

> Charles Gagnon wrote:
> > Sorry if this is not the right forum. If pointed in the right
> > direction, I'll report. I am running gnucash on the same machine I
> > always am but getting Seg Fault this morning. I am redirecting the
> > output to another terminal with a different geometry over X so I
> > assume this is what causes the problems but I'm done this plenty of
> > times before.
> >

> --
> Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
> http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody
> charlesg at unixrealm.com        | but me.

Ever notice something?  Linux comes with compilers.  Vista comes with
Solitaire.