Wierd Petty Cash Query

Keith A. Milner kamilner at superlative.org
Tue Oct 2 18:15:41 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 16:28:36 Maf. King wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Oct 2007, shaun73 wrote:

> > I was thinking of possibly settingup each employee as an expense acount.
> > Is this a possibility or is there a better way of doing this?
> >
> > A step by step walk through would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks
> > Shaun
>
> Hi Shaun,
>
> I think that the Business->Employee section will do all that for you - I
> haven't used it, but am familiar with the Customers and vendors sections,
> which use mostly the same code.
>
> As I understand it, you set each employee up as you would for vendors, then
> you can create an "employee voucher" each week, and keep tabs on who spends
> what.
>
> Good luck,
> Maf.

Employee vouchers are really for expenses. If employee expense handing is what
you're after then this will probably work for you.

What I do (with a considerably smaller number of employees) is set up expense
account(s) for each employee and when I create items in the expenses voucher
I use this as the expense account. This has to be manually selected and,
unfortunately, there's no automatic way to do it.

Eample expenses account tree:

Mileage
 | - employee1
 |- employee2
Hotels
 | employee1
 | employee2

You can then get totals for subaccounts for the expense categories (Mileage,
hotel, etc.) as well as per-employee expenses if required for things like UK
P11D forms.

If you don't need to significantly account for individual employee expenses
you don't have to do this. You could just have the top-level accounts
(Mileage, Hotel, etc.)

For 150 employees I suspect this would be a bit of a pain to start with as you
have to create 150 sub-accounts for each expense category.

For my 4 employees, it's no big deal!

Cheers,

--
Keith Milner