splits seem messed up in 2.2 [analysis and work-arounds]

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Sep 22 19:58:45 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:33 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> 2. The first split line seems to get rewritten to have the account match
> the account in which you are entering the transaction.  I think this
> happens every time you complete a split line.

Thomas Bushnell (see Debian bug 443608) says this is the cause of most
of the grief.  If this happens, the transaction has several splits
referring to the account that is open in the register.  This causes what
looks like 2 distinct transactions to display; however, there is really
only 1 transaction.  That's why deleting one of them deletes both.

If this apparent creation of clone transactions is by mistake, it would
be nice to fix the mistake.  If it's by design, perhaps the design
should be revised :)

Possibly these behaviors are Debian-specific.

Regardless, the rewriting of accounts in existing splits seems like a
bug.  The work-around is to either accept the default for the first
split(*), or be sure the accounts are correct before you accept the
transaction.

(*) I had some troubles doing this; gnucash seemed to key in on the 2nd
split as the one to rewrite when I tried making the first split use the
account whose register I was in.  That was in ledger view.