Unable to install Finance::Quote

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 21:08:12 EDT 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Steven Ross wrote:

> I'm a newbie trying to set up Finance::quote for financial quote in
> GnuCash on an ibook running OS X 10.4.11 powerPC.
> I'm trying to follow the instructions in the GnuCash Tutorial and
> Concepts Guide.
>
> When I put "perldoc Finance::Quote" in terminal I get documentation.
>
> When I try to run the gnc-fq-update program I get this:
>
> Welcome to Darwin!
> macs-ibook-g4:~ mac$ cd /sw/bin
> macs-ibook-g4:/sw/bin mac$ sudo gnc-fq-update
> Password:
> Information about 8146 packages read in 7 seconds.
> No packages to install.
> macs-ibook-g4:/sw/bin mac$
>
> Then if I run gnc-fq-dump I get:
>
> macs-ibook-g4:/sw/bin mac$ sudo gnc-fq-dump
> Password:
> /sw/bin/gnc-fq-dump cannot find all the Perl modules needed to run.
> You need to install the following Perl modules:
>   Finance::Quote
>   LWP
>   HTML::TableExtract
>   Crypt::SSLeay
>   Date::Manip
> Use your system's package manager to install them,
> or run 'gnc-fq-update' as root.
>
> Obviously, I’m screwing up something, but I don’t have the knowledge
> to know what.
> Thanks for any assistance in advance.
>
> Steve Ross

It looks like you are using fink to install things. If you did a 'fink
install gnucash2' then finance-quote should already be installed
(hence, the 'no packages to install' message).

However, the  messages from gnc-fq-dump suggest they aren't there. How
did you install gnucash? Using fink, it would be
fink install gnucash2

but starting the program is just
gnucash
in an x11 terminal window
Does gnucash itself run for you?

You could try
fink install finance-quote-pm586
and that should pull in all the rest of the perl modules.

You don't need the sudo for the gnc-fq-dump command.

You might have problems if you have installed perl modules on your
system using CPAN instead of fink, but let's start out with looking
into why the gnucash2 package install didn't quite work.

The other question is: Have you done anything with the Mac default
perl installation? Gnucash is packaged so that it is forced to use the
Apple perl instead of fink's version.

Dave
--
David Reiser