Report amounts are text, not numbers

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Aug 22 12:11:29 EDT 2008

At Fri, 22 Aug 2008 03:58:42 -0700 (PDT) satjat <iason at pkon.gr> wrote:

> I am trying to export data from GnuCash to a usable format, say Excel.
> I only really need the transaction journal, maybe with some filters.
> I have a report exactly the way I want it but I have two major problems:
> 1. The amounts listed are recognized as text by Excel so it is pretty much
> unusable
> 2. Apart from being in text mode, the amounts are also hyperlinks to the
> transactions. That is not so serious but it would be nice if it could be
> solved since clicking tries to open a non existing file and pops up an
> error.

Sounds like you need some sort of post-processing.  Maybe a filter to
strip off non-numeric characters (spaces, dollar (currency) signs,
quote marks, etc.), and/or strip "<a href=...></a>" code.

You probably don't really want to try to read HTML code into Excel as
data -- I'm guessing this is what is happening.  The GnuCASH report is
probably being generated as HTML, which makes good sense in terms of
printing it, but which does not make sense in terms of exporting it as
data to Excel.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration