I don't understand splits

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 20 14:19:43 EST 2008

Quoting Rick Pasotto <rick at niof.net>:

> Could someone please explain to me how to enter a transaction like this:
>
> I buy four items at a store, each to be expensed to a different account.
> I pay for the items 2/3 in cash and 1/3 by credit card.
>
> Do I enter the transaction in the Wallet window or the CC window?

Doesn't matter.  Just pick one.

>                    Should
> the primary line (before the split, where I have the name of the store)
> have a debit or a credit amount?

I think you're not understanding the terms "debit" and "credit", or
you wouldn't have asked this question.   So, it's better to not think
about it in those terms at all.

>        If there were no split then it would be
> a credit (Tot Spend) amount.

Then why would it be different if it IS a split?

The way I would enter it:  Start from your CC account.  Enter
the description, one of the expenses, and then the total amount
charged to the CC.  Then click on the SPLIT button to expand the
transaction.  From there you can fill in all the rest of your
expenses..  Then once you've got all your expenses listed you can
add the addition "Cash" line.  You'll notice that gnucash will keep
the running total for you so in the end you'll have the right number
in the right column.

indeed, entering it this way means you don't even have to think about
the colums because gnucash will show you what goes where.