error other user using file

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Jan 28 09:41:34 EST 2008

gishaust <gishaust at gmail.com> writes:
> I have three computers one is ubuntu server that holds gnucash accounts that
> I have setup with my information. So that it can be backup automatically and
> two others that have gnucash installed.
>
> When I try and open the infomation through the network I get this error
> below. There was one only software package, trying to access. So I thought
> it might be a windows issue as windows is trying to access. so I put gnucash
> on my xubuntu machine and I am still getting the same error.
>

> "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for Z:\Business\Gishaust"
> "That database may be in use by another user, in which case you should not
> open the database. What would you like to do?"

This error specifically means that the lockfile is present.  There's
generally two scenarios where this is the case:

1/ Another instance of gnucash is running, and is (validly) holding the
lockfile.  In this case, you should not use the second copy of GnuCash
against the same datafile.

2/ Another instance of gnucash terminated without removing the lock file,
because of crash or a bug in handling the lockfile on a network share.

> If I try and access the file it will open but it is buggy can someone give
> me some direction to why this is happening

Yes, you should be able to ignore the lock file, if you're sure there is no
other instance of gnucash running at the same time.

… But in what way is it then buggy?  After ignoring the lock file, the app
should behave just as if there was no lock file in the first place.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}