CREDIT CARD OPENING BALANCE

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 14 11:03:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

Quoting Xeena Wallington <xeena at tiscali.co.za>:

> I have decided to enter all transactions since 1 Jan 2008 but at that
> date my credit card had a CREDIT balance - therefore when I make a
> purchase that minus balance should go down, that is all well, but
> when I make a transfer from my current account, it is treated as if
> that was an overdraft instead of a credit balance.  i.e. -R10 000
> credit balance, R100 000 transfered from current account SHOULD mean
> a new balance of -R110 000, but instead it goes to R90 000.  How can
> I solve this problem?

You're entering the transaction in backwards, mixing up "Debits"
and "Credits".   Enter in the transaction in the opposite direction.
If you mean that the credit card company owes you money then your
opening balance should be entered like a PAYMENT, not a CHARGE.

> Also, how does one change the register to use a period (full stop)
> instead of a comma for decimal point?  It is rather irritating that I
> can't find a way to change this and there is only a full stop on my
> number pad, no commas.

This is controlled purely by your locale.  You should be able to
control this separately by I BELIEVE setting LC_COLLATE.  Try setting
the LC_COLLATE environment variable to en_US.UTF8 and it should
change your number format to US-style (1,234.56).