Fedora and computing in general.

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 28 20:37:16 EDT 2008

At Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:18:26 -0400 Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:

> John Boyle wrote:
>
> > To Chris Negus: Today, I got my Linux computer back from the shop where
> > I usually go when all the alleged updates show up that include a kernal
> > change! For Some reason RedHat and Fedora cannot make the kernal changes
> > user friendly and, unless you are a computer guru and work with the
> > technical side on a regular basis, the changes CANNOT be installed
> > without screwing up your computer!!!!!
>
> I find this incredible. I have been using Red Hat Linux since it was 5.0,
> including 5.2, 6.0, 6.2, and 7.3. I am currently running Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 5. I ran Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 for about three years before that.
> I have usually had two machines at a time, and for about a year I had three
> machines running at once. These are usually running 24/7.
>
> I have never had any problems with kernel updates and kernel changes except
> once long ago when RHEL3 first came out, and one of the RPMs had a
> permission bug where it gave some critical file the wrong permissions so I
> could not even log in. But since I could not log in, it was difficult to
> figure out what the file even was. I simply restored everything from that
> morning's backup tape and figured out what the bad file permissions were. By
> then, a matter of a few hours, Red Hat already had the update out to fix that.

The only time I dealt with Fedora Core it was sometime of a 'disaster'
-- *I* won't touch Fedora Core and *I* am a complete Linux geek.  Fedora
Core is counter indicated for a newbie, for end users in general, and
for any sort of production use.  After RH9 'died' we went with WBL 3.0
at UMass and when I finally moved on from RH 7.3, I went to CentOS 4.3
(now at CentOS 4.6).

> > I am talking as a user, not as a
> > technician nor a programmer, which I am NEITHER! It is absolutely NO
> > wonder why people shy away from Linux, entirely, with all the constant
> > "update and upgrade" garbage that goes on, and yet the idiots who
> > program the code CANNOT and WILL NOT understand that very fact!
>
> What fact? At least in Linux, if there is a bug they fix it right away, and
> do not wait until they have one huge update a month or more later. And the
> updates are not that frequent. With the RHEL distros, after the first month
> or so, the updates are usually only every few weeks, and kernel updates are
> even less frequent.
>
> > It is
> > very clear to me that they are NOT interested in making Linux truly user
> > friendly, whatsoever! I have tried SuSe before this and found it to be
> > very user unfriendly, with no relief in sight! AND I am afraid that
> > Fedora/Redhat is not that much better! You just cannot go on changing
> > versions which DO NOT improve what was already out
>
> Red Hat change their RHEL distributions only about once every year and a
> half, and since they support any given version for 7 years, you do not have
> to change versions unless you want the new features. If I thought you were
> serious, I would recommend you get a subscription to the latest release of
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

And there are *free* GPL versions of RHEL: CentOS and WBL.  Both very
stable and easy to deal with.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration