Problems getting quotes for funds

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 18:24:30 EDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 4:39 PM, David Reiser wrote:

> Does two ugly hacks equal a fix?
>
> When I sent out the first hack, I assumed that success of gnc-fq-
> dump = success for Get Quotes inside gnucash. Oops. It turns out
> that gnucash wasn't totally silent, just mumbling in the background
> about no currency being assigned. When I accommodated
> yahoo_europe's new timespec field, I didn't bother matching the
> number of elements in  @FIELDS and @FIELD_ENCODING lists. gnc-fq-
> dump didn't have a problem with that, but gnucash does. My second
> hack is just to add a second request for currency at the end of the
> encoding list. I have tested this inside gnucash, and it does work
> for European funds identified by isin.
>
> REMEMBER: this hack definitely breaks Yahoo US (and most likely
> Yahoo Asia and Australia too). But if you can get all the rest of
> your quotes from either Yahoo_Europe or non-Yahoo sources, then it
> can retrieve quotes for isin identified funds. Instead of MFEXPG.L,
> you'll have to enter GB0003243465GBP as the 'ticker'.
>
> This 'fix' is still ugly almost beyond belief, but it might be
> useful to some. There is a different patch in the Finance-Quote bug
> tracker, but it breaks non-European Yahoos as well.
>
> Dave
> <yahoofix.diff>

Rats. That isn't enough either. At this point, it looks like the
finance-quote bug tracker patch
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=4232&atid=104232&file_id=269562&aid=1910138
is a better bet than my attempts.

The latest problem being that quotes in pence aren't trapped and
converted to pounds.

Dave
--
David Reiser