How do you enter a scheduled transaction?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 17 13:22:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:12:04PM +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >> Josh, are there significant bugs with scheduled transactions I should
> >> look at ? I'm using 2.0.5 in Debian Etch and am about to set some up. I
> >> noticed that v 2.2 introduced a new file format for these which isn't
> >> backwards compatible. This doesn't worry me, but it would be a concern
> >> if 2.0.5 had to be fixed in this area in any significant way.
> >>

> > It's amazing how fast stable gets behind, and then how far back it
> > gets. I think you are well advised to try and upgrade to the 2.2
> > series. I checked backports, and it's not there. :(. I also don't
> > honestly know the state of trying to build the 2.2 series in etch, but
> > I suspect it's not that bad. I encourage you to look into it at least.
> >
> > How that affects SX, I don't know.

> Thanks Andrew. I downloaded and built 2.2.4 this morning. This was my
> first build from source of anything, so I am very pleased it suceeded.
>
> The build instructions on Gnucash's web site for Debian systems appear
> to assume you can build as part of Debian's packaging system but this
> failed when I tried. The instructions assume you can download it from
> Debian's repositories with apt-get. I aborted that and downloaded from
> sourceforge and built it with the instructions in the docs, which worked
> fine. I also purged Debian's own 2.0.5 package just for good measure.

yeah, those instructions are targeted specifically at rebuilding the
current debian package with some different features enabled.

to follow that path with 2.2.4, you'd have to pull down the source
from debian (2.0.5) *and* the source from gnucash directly. Then you'd need to
copy over the debian specific build stuff (in debian/) to the 2.2.4
tree. THen you could remove the debian (2.0.5) source and proceed
following the same instructions using dpkg etc. However, it's likely
you'd have to mess with the debian/rules file and other bits to get it
to work.

otherwise, its a pretty simple `apt-get build-dep gnucash` and a wget
from gnucash and the typical ./configure && make && make install with
the options of your choice. You might consider rebuilding with
--prefix=/some/other/place so that it doesn't conflict with debian's
install. But that likely won't be an issue for you until you move up
from etch.

> (The only thing I'm missing now is the Gnucash icon - can't find it in
> the stuff downloaded.)

src/pixmaps/