How do you enter a scheduled transaction?

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 06:16:04 EDT 2008

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:12:04PM +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
>
>> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>>> It's amazing how fast stable gets behind, and then how far back it
>>> gets. I think you are well advised to try and upgrade to the 2.2
>>> series. I checked backports, and it's not there. :(. I also don't
>>> honestly know the state of trying to build the 2.2 series in etch, but
>>> I suspect it's not that bad. I encourage you to look into it at least.
>>>
>>> How that affects SX, I don't know.

>> Thanks Andrew. I downloaded and built 2.2.4 this morning. This was my
>> first build from source of anything, so I am very pleased it suceeded.
>>
>> The build instructions on Gnucash's web site for Debian systems appear
>> to assume you can build as part of Debian's packaging system but this
>> failed when I tried. The instructions assume you can download it from
>> Debian's repositories with apt-get. I aborted that and downloaded from
>> sourceforge and built it with the instructions in the docs, which worked
>> fine. I also purged Debian's own 2.0.5 package just for good measure.
>>

> yeah, those instructions are targeted specifically at rebuilding the
> current debian package with some different features enabled.
>
> to follow that path with 2.2.4, you'd have to pull down the source
> from debian (2.0.5) *and* the source from gnucash directly. Then you'd need to
> copy over the debian specific build stuff (in debian/) to the 2.2.4
> tree. THen you could remove the debian (2.0.5) source and proceed
> following the same instructions using dpkg etc. However, it's likely
> you'd have to mess with the debian/rules file and other bits to get it
> to work.
>
> otherwise, its a pretty simple `apt-get build-dep gnucash` and a wget
> from gnucash and the typical ./configure && make && make install with
> the options of your choice.

Yes this is the procedure I used. I presume the build-dep would have
used the dependencies of the 2.0.5 version, but these were unchanged for
2.2.4? As a newcomer to compiling from source I didn't know whether to
use sudo or to run as root - does it make a difference? I actually used
sudo where without it failed, but it would have been easier to run as
root. However I wasn't sure whether this would then not be able to allow
a normal user to use the package. I noticed that the Debian instructions
used something called "fakeroot" which I gather allows the root account
to be used where necessary. Is there some useful description somewhere I
can read which explains this stuff?
> You might consider rebuilding with
> --prefix=/some/other/place so that it doesn't conflict with debian's
> install. But that likely won't be an issue for you until you move up
> from etch.

I purged Debian's Gnucash from the system. All is well at the moment. As
and when I upgrade to the next Debian stable I may revert to the Debian
version - depending on which one it is.
>> (The only thing I'm missing now is the Gnucash icon - can't find it in
>> the stuff downloaded.)
>>

> src/pixmaps/

I deleted the source tree after building it (keeping the tar file) -
should I reinstate this in case there is something else I may need when
running the system or would the pixmaps directory be sufficient?