How do you enter a scheduled transaction?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 18 13:26:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:16:04AM +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > otherwise, its a pretty simple `apt-get build-dep gnucash` and a wget
> > from gnucash and the typical ./configure && make && make install with
> > the options of your choice.
> >
> Yes this is the procedure I used. I presume the build-dep would have
> used the dependencies of the 2.0.5 version, but these were unchanged for
> 2.2.4?

I think so, though I'm not sure. Gnucash tries to keep the
dependencies pretty stable...

> As a newcomer to compiling from source I didn't know whether to
> use sudo or to run as root - does it make a difference?

nope. except that sudo activities are logged in syslog.

> I actually used
> sudo where without it failed, but it would have been easier to run as
> root. However I wasn't sure whether this would then not be able to allow
> a normal user to use the package. I noticed that the Debian instructions
> used something called "fakeroot" which I gather allows the root account
> to be used where necessary. Is there some useful description somewhere I
> can read which explains this stuff?

I strongly advise you to take these questions to
debian-user at lists.debian.org. It is think with real experts in this
stuff. heavy traffic though (200+ mails per day). As far as root
versus sudo, I personally prefer sudo as I don't generally like to
hang out in root. But it's really a preference thing.

Debian has a pretty comprehensive system for building external
packages and turning them into .deb files. Again, ask the experts
because I don't know.

Normal users should be able to run gnucash. The only need for root
perms is to install into root-only-writable directories.

> > You might consider rebuilding with
> > --prefix=/some/other/place so that it doesn't conflict with debian's
> > install. But that likely won't be an issue for you until you move up
> > from etch.
> >

> I purged Debian's Gnucash from the system. All is well at the moment. As
> and when I upgrade to the next Debian stable I may revert to the Debian
> version - depending on which one it is.

the reason to use --prefix is to put the install into a directory
where it won't conflict with debian's packages. A good place is in
/usr/local or /opt. Both of those are guaranteed to be untouched by
debian.

I would expect 2.2.4 will make it into the next stable release. 2.2.3
is in lenny and 2.2.4 is already in sid...

> >> (The only thing I'm missing now is the Gnucash icon - can't find it in
> >> the stuff downloaded.)
> >>

> > src/pixmaps/
> >

> I deleted the source tree after building it (keeping the tar file) -
> should I reinstate this in case there is something else I may need when
> running the system or would the pixmaps directory be sufficient?

if you want the icons, then yes, unpack it.

there are other reasons to keep the source tree lying around -- make
uninstall would be one for when you want to remove your build in favor
of the debian package.

But I think you can do that from a freshly unpacked tarball as
well. I'm not sure.