Default account for auto-interest payments

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat May 10 23:23:51 EDT 2008

Joel Thibault (Gnucash) writes:

> On 5/10/08, Sam Varshavchik mrsam-at-courier-mta.com wrote:
>> Derek Atkins writes:
>>

>> > Hi,

>> account every month, when the auto-interest dialog pops up the "Payment
>> from" list box always defaults to the same bank/credit account that I'm
>> reconciling. Of course, gnucash refuses to book the interest payment against
>> the same account you're reconciling.

>> income/expense accounts, and select the interest income account, for the
>> interest payment.

>> do this, every time. I can't find any setting for a default income/expense
>> account, to book the interest payment against.
>> > >

>> > I've noticed that it's correct until you tab out of the Description
>> > cell.  Does it start out incorrect for you?
>> >

>>  Yes, it comes up incorrectly right from the start. I have multiple bank
>> accounts, and each time the "Payment from" list box opens with the account
>> I'm reconciling as the selected account.
>>
>>  Tabbing through the fields makes no difference.
>>

> I see the same behavior as Sam.  If I recall correctly, it was working
> at some point in the past, but it has since reverted to the old
> behavior of auto-selecting the (same) reconcile account for interest
> payments.
>
> What is the intended behavior?  "Account I chose last month" would be
> my preference.

Same here.

Additionally, after manually fixing the "Payment from" account, when the
interest payment gets posted to the bank account its "Description" field in
the register is blank. Days, or weeks, later you're looking at this blank
entry in the register and scratching your head -- "what is that?" -- then
you look at the "Transfer" column, see the interest income/expense account,
and figure it out.

So, preferrably, not only would you default to the last month's account, but
also have a default description for the interest entry.