Moving away from GnuCash

postmaster postmaster at gbenet.com
Tue Nov 25 02:20:34 EST 2008

Hi Musicman,

I read the document. I guess at some time that gnucash started life as a
personal finance manager - which evolved and continues to do so.

I am a British Management consultant used to the UK accounting system -
so I create companies and look at accounting systems for those buseness.
But I live and work in Cyprus - different tax - different employee rules
and regulations.

We all live in differing parts of the world and no way can you get an
accounts package that's universal - large global corporates have
differing financial requirements and consolidate "local accounts" within
their structure.

In many respects I'd leave payroll to your bank - unless it's all cash
in hand payments. Your local bank knows the laws pertaining to your
country so I don't see this as negative - laws rates change within
payroll systems.

It seems to me as someone new to gnucash that I'm faced with payments in
euros to Indian currency and have to work within that - with suppliers
from Honk kong and the USA and so on - I don't think hey gnucash must
support international purchasing - I have to figure it out.

I don't see from your accountant (I am one) anything interesting apart
from the fact he uses something different and it makes his life easy.
I'm just the same! :)

We have a holding company with four other companies (we put up the
venture capital) so I'm building dummy accounts to see how gnecash
works. So far ok. All those companies have global trade - many
currencies - it seems to be working ok.

I think that gnucash will evolve but never in regard to payroll and full
local tax support - all of which change year by year. It is unrealistic
to think or hope otherwise.

Regards,

david