Checks print with black bar in place of Payee name

qajaq wabm at william-maloney.org
Wed Nov 26 15:29:27 EST 2008

I have found the solution on my own.

qajaq wrote:

> The problem I'm running into is that I'm getting a thick, black line in
> the Payee section of the check. The date and both the numeric and
> spelled-out versions of the amount print correctly, but not the
> transaction's Description line.
>
> I'm running GNUcash 2.2.7 on WinXP/SP3. Any ideas why this behavior is
> appearing, or what I might do to correct it?

It appears to be a problem with the check-format file, at least in the way
it runs under Windows XP. (I haven't tried it yet under a Linux OS.)

All formats other than the Quicken/QuickBooks (tm) format printed as they
should, though they were not set up properly to print on my pre-printed
checks, so I opened all four of the format files (*.chk) to see what
differences I could find.

These files include several sections, the last of which is [Check Items].
Each item is defined by two lines; the first identifies which ledger field
will be printed, and the second defines the X and Y coordinates at which the
field will be printed on the paper and, optionally, the maximum width and
height of that field. Only the Q/QB format file made use of those optional
field-size parameters. and when I deleted that pair of coordinates, the
field printed on the check as it was intended. Apparently WinXP doesn't like
a second set of parameters in these fields.

By the way, I also made a lot of other changes, since all the default Q/QB
format assumed my checks are printed three to a page. In fact, I use a
voucher check -- one per sheet, with tear-off stubs that are meant to be
printed with duplicate information for the recipient's and my files. I had
to add several additional Type-Coordinate field pairs in order to print
these voucher stubs. If anyone would like a copy of the file I created,
leave a note here.