separating temporary project funding from company profit

Daniel Drake dan at reactivated.net
Wed Apr 8 12:19:02 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using gnucash for managing finances of a small business. I'm new to
accounting in a business context, but I do have a grip of the basics.

My question:

The company has received some funding for an in-development project. I
filed this as a transfer from an income account to our "Current assets"
bank account.

We have received an invoice for some IP that is part of this project. I
filed this as a bill from a vendor into Liabilities-->Accounts payable.
We are not going to pay this just yet, but will do soon.

The company has also received some profits from sales of stock from
older, completed projects. These are represented as transfers from
various income accounts to our "Current assets" bank account. (after
that, a new bill is created in Accounts payable, because we pay our
contractors a % of each sale. the remaining % is kept by the company as
profits)

Is there an easy and clean way that I can get gnucash to separate the
funding for the new project (which we anticipate spending in entirity)
from the actual profits that are here-to-stay from the sales of stock? I
basically want an easily accessible figure that shows me how much profit
has been made, a figure not including the money which we anticipate
spending on the new project.

Right now I can calculate this easily by hand, but with more projects in
future this may become unreasonably complicated.

I tried modifying my accounting practice as follows: instead of
receiving the project funding from an income account, I transferred it
from a new liability account. However, this did not quite work out
properly: once I then filed the IP invoice as a bill, that was also
recorded under Accounts payable under liabilities -- hence that
particular liability is now recorded twice and all numbers are off.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for gnucash, it's excellent!
Daniel