Still can't get currency quote, but seems to be "different" issue

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Mon Aug 10 16:42:28 EDT 2009

FireFly wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the "same old" finance::quote issue,
>
> So I'm moving from Windows to Ubuntu, partly because a lot of software I now
> use is supposed to be developed for *nix rather than Windows, and just has
> windows ports. Going through all the steps I installed Ubuntu, installed
> version 2.2.6 of GNUCash, downloaded and installed 2.2.9 from the source-code,
> installed FQ version 1.16, and edited the Quote.pm file, or copied it from my
> Windows drive (I've done a number of things to the Quote.pm, my last resort
> was "well surely the windows one will work, since my windows install of
> GNUCash works just fine).
>
> Anyway, running price-editor I get the dreaded "can't get currency for GBP",
> so seems to be the same currency problem, however running from the terminal
> this (as per another note I found by AmigaPhil) I get this
>
> /usr/local/bin$ gnc-fq-dump yahoo GBPUSD=X
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>     symbol: GBPUSD=X             <=== required
>       date: 08/10/2009           <=== required
>   currency: GBP                  <=== required
>       last: 1.6573               <=\
>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>      price: 1.6573               <=/
>   timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> Which would seem (at least to me) to indicate that FQ is working okay? (I
> tried both GBPUSD=X and USDGBP=X and both seemed to work just fine).
>
> Any ideas?

This indeed shows that F::Q is working, but I don't think you can assume
from that result the the online currency retrieval is working as well.

The above gnc-fq-dump test is querying Yahoo the same way as for getting
a share quote price (that is getting the price in USD for 1 GBP), whereas
what GnuCash actually do to get a currency value is to query Yahoo's
currency convertion tool.
Look at the Yahoo's URL in Quote.pm (the patched one).  The arguments
are in the form: "from=GBP&to=USD".  So the method is different.

My best quess is that your Quote.pm is not properly patched; or there is
a version conflict.

AmigaPhil