Crash when saving reports

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 14 11:19:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:14:53PM +0800, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 07:49 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 05:19:48PM +0800, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > For quite some time already I've a problem with a very irritating bug:
> > > when trying to save a report (create report, e.g. income statement, make
> > > some changes including the name, then click "Add Report"), GnuCash dies
> > > immediately without saving the report. When starting up again I get the
> > > message that the database may be in use already, of course I click "open
> > > anyway" and it starts up fine but no new saved report.
> >
> > can you run gnucash from a terminal and provide the output that is
> > generated by the crash? Also, any contents of gnucash.trace (should be
> > in tmp).
>
> What I did:
> - open my financial data file
> - create report "Account Summary"
> - change name of report to "test" (I didn't change any other options
> there)
> - click "add report"
>

> gnucash.trace (when running directly; after running from terminal this
> file is empty):
> * 12:06:51  CRIT <Gtk> gtk_widget_grab_default: assertion
> `GTK_WIDGET_CAN_DEFAULT (widget)' failed
>
> terminal output:
> $ gnucash
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13

[...]

> /usr/share/gnucash/scm/report.scm:456:20: In expression (open-file conf-file-name "a"):
> /usr/share/gnucash/scm/report.scm:456:20: Unbound variable: open-file

I suspect RandomUser might be right, The failure to find open-file is
symptomatic of a deeper problem in slib. I know less than nothing
about slib configuration issues other than if the order is wrong, it
won't work. I know even less about rpm. so my only advise is to do
something like completely uninstall gnucash and as many of its
dependencies as you can to get down to the slib level and
reinstall. But who knows what all might depend on slib in your
system... that could be a pretty nasty process.