an alternative for running GnuCash on OS X

adrinux adrinux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:39:10 EDT 2009

2009/8/23 Richard Talley <rich.talley at gmail.com>:
> You can use the VM software, the Linux distribution and the package manager
> that you prefer. Works great. Sidesteps all the problems involved with
> installing GnuCash on OS X. Instead, install it where we already know it
> works well: Linux.
A good point. I have to say though that GnuCash under X11 *works* well
on OS X. The problem is installation (for some people at least). And
virtualized linux running on OS X is a way around the installation
problems, although it's not exactly what I'd call easy, it may well be
easier.

The only issue with virtualized gnucash would be that of backup, it
would be wise to copy your gnucash files off of the VM on a regular
basis, onto the mac's drive proper. And make sure the VM virtual disk
is being backed up using which ever solution you use - but keep in
mind the entire virtual hard disk (often circa 5 gigs) is backed up by
Time Machine every time you do anything on it.

That's a minor quibble though, an issue to be aware of rather than a
show stopper. I use virtualbox for testing web sites in windows and
linux and it works fine.

But I'm still keen on seeing an OSX native Gnucash :)

--
Adrian Simmons | http://perlucida.com