help installing finance quote mac snow leopard

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 8 09:53:08 EST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Martin Cunningham wrote:

> Thanks. I ran gnc-fq-check and got the following:
>
> "You need to install the following Perl modules:
>  Finance::Quote
>  HTML::TableExtract
>  Crypt::SSLeay
>  Date::Manip
>
> Use your system's package manager to install them,
> or run 'gnc-fq-update' as root.
> missing-lib
> logout
>
> [Process completed]"
>
> Where can I find these modules and how do i install them?
>
> When i try to run gnc-fq-update i get a message saying something like
> 'you need to log in as root'. So I log out and then log in as root and
> type 'sudo gnc-fq-update' and i get a 'procedure not recognized' type
> of error in Terminal.
>
> Martin Cunningham
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:33 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>

>> Unfortunately, a MacPorts-installed Finance::Quote won't work with the Gnucash binaries, because Macports installs into a private directory not in the normal Perl include path.
>>
>> In Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin, you'll find two programs, gncfqcheck and gncfqupdate. The first will tell you what's wrong with your F::Q installation, the second (run with sudo) will install F::Q for you.
>>
>> If you get errors from either, please report them in detail to the list.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John ralls

No, don't log in as root. Ever. Use sudo instead, like this:
$ sudo Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-update

If it doesn't work, copy the error message into your reply, don't summarize it.

To answer your other question, cpan, the perl package manager. For example:

$ sudo cpan -i Finance::Quote

Will install Finance::Quote and any dependencies which you don't already have installed. gnc-fq-update just runs cpan for  you for all of the modules that gnc-fq-check tells you that you need.

Regards,
John Ralls