Importing OCX statement

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:24:31 EST 2009

Alf Stockton wrote:
> I have successfully managed to import my bank statement into my copy of
> gnucash on my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop but all entries go into the "Imbalance"
> account and then I have to fiddle with each entry to get it to go to the
> correct account.
> Surely there is a better way to do this?
>
> What would be good would be if the original statement contained the correct
> account in the first place. How do I achieve this?

When you first import OCX transactions, GC doesn't know anything about
which account each transaction should transfer to/from.    I've noticed
that once you have established a history of transactions, that when I
import subsequently, GC will guess at the transfer account based on that
history.  Many times it is accurate but you always should, in my
opinion, review your imported data to make sure your accounting is done
correctly.

-Dennis