Migration from UBS Quicken 2001 for Windows

Roger Brooks rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 06:35:42 EST 2009

Hi *,
I have installed GnuCash under Windows 2000 and am trying to migrate my accounting from Quicken.  My initial results are not encouraging.  I can reproducibly crash GnuCash with any OFX file from Quicken 2001 which contains transactions (bug already reported).  As a workaround, I am only migrating the accounts via OFX and am using QIF files for the transactions.  My main problem at present is the import of securities.  It doesn't seem to work at all except that the initial securities deposits in the brokerage account I transferred have caused a large negative balance in what Quicken calls the "linked current account".  Besides that, I had to set up all of the securiteis manually in GnuCash.  I have made several attempts to read through the voluminous GnuCash documentation.  It is at least clear to me from that how to set up securites manually.  However, I don't see any way to accomplish what I want, which is to import the available history from
 Quicken.  It looks as though I would have to set up all of the initial securiries buy and sell transactions in  GnuCash by hand and then some how figure out a way to exclude these from the migrated transactions.  Presumably this would require manual editing of the QIF files, which I would rather avoid.