Startup Failure

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jul 4 16:08:19 EDT 2009

On Friday 03 July 2009 23:15:57 Mike C. wrote:
> I can't open the backup file or any other.  What I did next was install
> an old version of  ~/.gnucash that I had saved previously and now the
> program will open with the same data file that would not open before and
> the scheduled transaction is completed.  The only difference I can see
> in the .gnucash directory is that there is a desktop.ini file in the bad
> one and it is not included in the version that works.  The .gnucash
> directory that works includes books and checks directories and
> accelerator-map, expressions-2.0, saved-reports-2.0, and stylesheets-2.0
> files.  It appears that the desktop.ini file caused the problem but I am
> not sure why it is not needed now.  It definitely seems related to
> execution of the scheduled transaction.  Does anyone have any insight
> into this or is it a bug that has been identified that I couldn't fine
> in the list?
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I don't know anything about ini files.   Do you have the old (broken)
one still, maybe if you posted it someone else may have some insight.

Although, I will ask if you are keeping your data file in ~/.gnucash?  That is
considered to be a bad idea, apparently, and can lead to data loss.

Cheers,
Maf.