Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Sat May 2 21:17:54 EDT 2009

Liz-25 wrote:
> Perhaps you need to consider that importing is not an everyday occurrence
> for any individual. Once its complete it can be forgotten about.

I can consider it not getting top priority. What I can't see is why it's
dismissed as not an issue. It is an issue, maybe to be classified as a low
priority issue but an issue nonetheless. Or are you trying to say that just
because it infrequently happens we should not take note about the issue nor
try to fix it - just forget about!?!

But almost by definition, import hits new users, least experienced users.
And since the developers expanded to Windows we have seen people who are
very new to the concepts of open source software and the manner in which it
is built.

I'm not sure that's relevant to the issue I'm discussing. Importing Invoices
when you don't know how to properly handle them causes a lot of grief in
that it represents data corruption. And seeing as you have a mechanism for
identifying Invoice types of accounts you can easily at least put up a
warning dialog box and/or simple refuse to import such transactions until
you've coded how to do it correctly. Whether this is a common occurrence or
not does not change the fact that the behavior, as currently implemented, is
wrong. Or are you seriously trying to say that the behavior is correct
merely because you personally haven't had to import for years?!?

Would a link to the writings of Stallman and Raymond at the top of the wiki
help some understand that the philosophy is different for this program
compared to those which Windows users are more used to having?

I'm well versed as to what Open Source is. Why do you feel the need to tell
me to research it? It's a totally orthogonal issue to what we are discussing
here, which is incorrect behavior and data corruption on importation. What
the hell does that have to do with Open Source Software?!?

A word about my usage of data corruption because I'm sure somebody's gonna
attempt to read something into that so as to bash me more. I say data
corruption in the sense that the bottom line, the total of all accounts, is
not correct and I need to do work to correct the data until it is correct.