How can I get 'current' to be the total of the 'current' balances of an account and all its subaccounts?

Mike C. subscribe307 at verizon.net
Sat May 23 17:17:22 EDT 2009

I am new to GnuCash and had the same issue with a definition of the
account overview columns.  I set up a dummy account with some entries to
try to define the columns and this is what I determined.
Present/Present USD is a total from the earliest entry to the current
date and does not include future scheduled transactions.  Balance is the
balance in the account at the end of all entries not including future
scheduled entries but does include post dated entries.  Balance Period
includes the net of entries for the period set in
Edit>Preferences>Accounting Period.  Total USD is the total from the
earliest entry to the end of all entries.  The Grand Total assets at the
bottom is the value at the end of the Accounting Period set.  Profit is
the income - expenses for the Accounting period.
I'm know this is not complete and hope someone else can expand this
definition or correct any mistakes I have made.
Mike