Online banking setup

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 19 09:50:23 EST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:04 AM, T. Howell-Cintron wrote:

> David Reiser wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the stone age is coming back in bank downloads
>> in open source. The banking oversight folks in the U.S. decreed
>> that banks must use multifactor authentication for online access
>> to customer's bank records. Intuit has taken the opportunity to
>> make proprietary the login phase of transaction connections. Just
>> last weekend Chase, under the guise of "enhancing Chase Online,"
>> disabled their old servers that did ofx directconnect. Now,
>> Quicken connects to Chase through an Intuit intermediary, using
>> authentication that does not match prior login procedures and
>> is not completely discernable from ofx logs available in quicken.
>
> I am, unfortunately, a Chase customer afflicted by the plague of changes
> made to their interfaces for online banking.  My OFX downloads aren't
> even sufficient for me to match up to hand-edited transactions I glean
> from their website.  It's a sad state of affairs.
>
> -- Tom

Hmm. If I do a Download Transactions from the webview of my credit cards, I get the same ofx stream I used to get with directconnect sessions. I don't have any trouble importing those ofx transactions, it just takes many more steps on the web, plus one or two extra steps in gnucash.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net