Sorry to say Good-bye to GnuCash

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:58:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Mike or Penny Novack
<stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>> I'm using GnuCash since years. Never had a corrupt data file. I don't
>> know, what happend to you, but the general statement 'GnuCash corrupts
>> data files often.' is definitely incorrect, otherwise this issue would
>> arise frequently on this list.
>
> I'll second that.
>
> But there is an important issue here. Apparently there is SOMETHING a few
> people do that results in corrupt files. To the extent that GnuCash doesn't
> prevent them from doing this POSSIBLY a GnuCash problem (trust me, there are
> some sorts of things done wrong causing problems that no program could
> prevent). If instead people having problems of this sort would work with us
> instead of dashing away because "GnuCash is buggy" (instead of assuming
> that) perhaps we could find out.

I haven't used Windows in years, and certainly not GnuCash on Windows,
but I recall a few years back that a linux user was putting his data
file in the ~/.gnucash directory and that was determined to be a place
where you almost certainly would lose your data. Is there a directory
location in Windows that is similarly unsafe?

If not a directory, is it possible there's some Windows application
that sees GnuCash files and is clobbering them? I know for awhile the
installer exe file was on somebody's antivirus "security threat" list
because of an included library. Could there be an overzealous
antivirus app on the rampage against the data files, or maybe it's
interrupting GnuCash's reading or writing by blocking the compression
/ decompression process or something like that?

Like most of the respondents to this thread, I have never lost any
GnuCash data due to a problem with the application, but I AM careful
to trust only the "stable" versions that have been properly packaged
for my linux distribution.