Please Help!!!! Cannot open my gnucash file!

JP Briggs jp.briggs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 10:21:46 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM, JP Briggs <jp.briggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> "jp.briggs" <jp.briggs at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > When I try opening my file, I get an error window: Can't parse the URL
>> > /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn
>> > Then if I try to open my file with --debug --extra, here's the terminal
>> > output when the error pops up:
>> > jp at Macbuntu:~/Documents/gnucash$ gnucash --debug --extra JPandRobyn
>> > gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
>> configure
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Found Finance::Quote version 1.16
>> > /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn:2: element gconf: Schemas validity
>> > error : Element 'gconf': No matching global declaration available for
>> the
>> > validation root.
>> > /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn:2: element gconf: Schemas validity
>> > error : Element 'gconf': No matching global declaration available for
>> the
>> > validation root.
>> > /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn:2: element gconf: Schemas validity
>> > error : Element 'gconf': No matching global declaration available for
>> the
>> > validation root.
>> >
>> > Has anyone seen this recently, or know what I can do to fix this?!? I
>> really
>> > need access to my financial data.
>>
>> Umm, there's no 'gconf' element in a GnuCash file.  What are the first
>> few lines of /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn?  (If it's
>> compressed, use something like:
>>  zcat /home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn | head
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -JP

>> -derek
>> --
>>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available
>>

> Alright. Now it looks like perhaps the data file got corrupted or
> something? If I open JPandRobyn (my data file) with Firefox, I get:
> XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
> Location: file:///home/jp/Documents/gnucash/JPandRobyn
> Line Number 7, Column 1:
>
> If I open JPandRobyn is Screem, I can see the 1st 6 lines. The 7th appears
> blank, and there's nothing after the 1st 6...
>
> Is there any way I can repair this file? Of course I was a moron and I
> don't think I have any aged backups anywhere...

OK, this is weird. So Ubuntu is running on a Virtual Machine. I rolled back
to a previous snapshot (unfortunately losing transactions back to August). I
painstakingly recreated all my transactions as best as possible to current.
Then I BACKED the data up (should've done that the first time obviously).

Then I upgraded to 9.10 again. And as soon as I tried loading Gnucash, same
error: can't parse the URL.

What gives?!? Is there something in the upgrade that is screwing up Gnucash?