Only January in GC after move from Linux to Mac

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Nov 25 10:49:58 EST 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 15:30:18 you wrote:

> So a .xac file is a saved copy of the file that I call Accounts.  The
> question then arises why Accounts just had my January data and not all of
> that.  I assume that, if I save my Accounts file every time I close the
> program, then Accounts and the latest .xac file will be identical?

No. I'm not a dev, but I think it works like this:

You open Accounts. You edit Accounts. You save Accounts.  GC renames
the "Accounts" on disk to "Accounts.yymmddhhmmss.xac" and creates a new file
Accounts.  Thus, the .xac is what you started with before doing any editing.

So the .xac + .log = current file (in theory - I believe that newly created
scheduled txn templates, customers & vendors don't make it into the .log
files )

You must (at some point) have opened one of the .xac from around the end of
january, and carried on with it as though it were your master file.  It is
quite easy to do and not notice, especially as GC will reopen the last file
it used by default. Once bitten, etc.

Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542