exchange rates

paolo palmerini paolo at palmerini.org
Wed Oct 28 18:43:31 EDT 2009

dear all,
i wrote some time ago about a possible integration of gnucash into my
organisation's administrative system. should anyone be interested in
knowing more, we are actually very close to finalise this process that
will eventually lead to using gnucash as the main accounting software in
7+1 different countries, with 3 different working languages and about 10
working different currencies. hoping that it will work, i thought this
could be a nice case-study to showcase if needed. i am available to
provide more details if anyone is interested.

coming to the topic of my post, we still have a few number of issues
pending which we would like to clarify before starting the deployment.
the main one is about the way exchange rates are dealt with within gnucash.

i am sure i am missing something basic here but i do not see clearly
what is the relationship between the rates appearing in the pricedb -
through the price editor - and the rates inserted manually in each
transaction involving different currencies. more precisely my questions are:

1. is it possible to set the same exchange rate between two currencies
for all transactions involving the two currencies within a user defined
time interval?

2. if, as i fear, the answer to the above is no, then we need to handle
each transaction separately, right? but then what would be the impact of
any value inserted into the pricedb through the price editor? i seem to
be able to insert values in the pricedb (same date, same currency) which
do not correspond to the value in the transaction without getting any
error form gnucash. how is that possible?

what am i missing?

i am not sure i have managed to express my doubts, so i would appreciate
even more any form of clarification.
thanks in advance
p.

--