A/R question

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Wed Sep 2 12:01:26 EDT 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Yeah, the system just isn't designed to handle the A/R account going away.

Now is not a good time to find that out. ;-)
>> I think this is a bug: you should be able to shift the invoice and
>> related transactions to the parent account, and either have the report
>> recognize this, or have the relevant owner guids changed to align with
>> the parent.
>>

> Yeah, I can see it called a bug.  I can also see it called a design
> decision ;)

Indeed.  In either case, I get to live with it. :p
>> In the meantime, it may make more sense to simply change the ownership
>> of the invoice.  Do I assume correctly that the entire guid string
>> uniquely identifies the account?
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "the ownership of the invoice".  Yes, the
> accounts are all referenced by GUID, but I definitely do not recommend
> that you go in and manipulate them by hand.

I understand the perils.  I see that the owner guid refers to the Job,
not the Customer.  Here there be monsters.
> At this point I'd recommend you revert back to an older file from before
> you deleted the extra AR accounts and once they are zeroized just hide
> them and move forward using other accounts.  You could change the
> account type to 'Asset' so they stop showing up on reports or in the
> Post dialog.

It's actually a bit late to do the reversion, given that the oldest
version of the file post-dates the change.  However, year-end is coming
up shortly.  I should be able to zero out the totals - not sure what
I'll use for the offsetting account that won't freak out my accountant.

Thanks - the discussion has been useful.

Cam